Educate don't Hesitate!
Training on Lionfish Eradication Techniques
In support of our Lionfish Education, Management and Control Program, Vone Research is developing a training tutorial for teaching our proven eradication techniques and proper handling procedures to the entire dive community. This video will soon be available through this website.
We will also be scheduling appearances at local area dive clubs and dive shops to discuss with divers the successful eradication techniques implemented by Vone Research. Our topics of discussion will include necessary equipment, safe handling procedures, video and photography, the monitoring process, the importance of statistics, recording, and reporting GPS coordinates, as well as the use our new 'Lionfish Spear' and 'Collection Bag'. Both of which will be available soon for purchase on this site.
Here are a few things we have learned about spearing lionfish which we would like to share:
* Lionfish have no fear of divers, so use this to your advantage.
* Move very slowly and deliberately. Take your time.
* If you are gentle and nonaggressive, you can move the lionfish into a place that is more suitable for a
clean shot using a tickle stick or spear. Do not use your hand.
* You will get one clean shot so make it count. Put the tip of your spear as close as you can without
touching the lionfish.
* If you miss, you will see how quick lionfish really are.
For additional information on our training tutorial covering lionfish eradication techniques, or to schedule an appearance with Vone Research at our location or yours, please contact:
Stephen Attis Vone Research 640 SE 6th Terrace Pompano Beach, FL 33060 Fax: 954-781-5321 Phone: 954-249-9195
Website Designed by Tami Beckel for Vone Research, Inc. © 2010. Vone Research is a 501(c)3, non profit organization.